- Best way to get Viagra in person: your doctor’s office
- Best way to get Viagra online: Hims
- Best way to get Viagra and other ED treatments online: Roman
- Best way to get chewable sildenafil pills: Bluechew
- Best way to get affordable sildenafil pills: Lemonaid
- Best alternative to Viagra: Eddie by Giddie
Viagra, also known as the “little blue pill,” is the brand name of an erectile dysfunction (ED) medication.
Approved for medical use in the late 90s, the medication skyrocketed in popularity and became the go-to prescription medication for people wanting to treat ED.
ED, a condition that makes it challenging to get or maintain an erection, is common. According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), around 30 million men in the United States experience ED. The condition tends to affect older adults, but it can also occur in people under 40.
Viagra is an effective treatment option for the condition. But getting your hands on it requires a prescription. Keep reading to find out more about Viagra and where to get it in person and online.
Viagra is a prescription drug that treats ED. The main active ingredient is sildenafil, which is the generic form of Viagra.
Sildenafil helps with ED by increasing blood flow to the penis, allowing you to get and keep an erection when sexually aroused.
The brand name drug was initially manufactured by Pfizer. But, since the patent expiration, other companies now produce and sell less expensive generic versions of the medication.
Yes. You need a prescription for both Viagra and generic sildenafil.
You can get a prescription either in person or online. With an ever-growing number of telehealth companies providing remote services, it’s easier than ever to skip an in-person doctor’s visit and request a prescription online.
Keep in mind that you’ll still need to make sure the doctor you’re talking with knows about any other medications you’re taking and if you have additional symptoms.
If you’d like to get a Viagra prescription in person, you can talk with your doctor. Make sure they’re up-to-date on any medications or supplements you’re taking.
Your doctor will also ask you about other symptoms you might be experiencing. ED is common, but it can occur for various reasons, including underlying medical conditions.
Once you have a prescription, you can fill it at your pharmacy. You can also ask your doctor to send the prescription directly to your nearest pharmacy.
Pricing depends on whether you’re prescribed the brand-name or generic version.
According to GoodRx, the price for two 100 mg tablets of brand-name Viagra is around $136. You’ll pay significantly less for the generic version — around $20 for thirty 100 mg tablets.
Most insurance companies don’t cover Viagra prescriptions. But Medicare and some private insurance plans may cover generic forms. Always check with your insurance company first to avoid a surprise at the pharmacy checkout.
Many online companies say they sell Viagra, but there are many counterfeit Viagra pills out there. That’s why it’s important to buy from a reputable company.
Below, you’ll see a few options. We chose these companies because they have positive brand reputations, good user reviews, and discreet shipping.
We also reviewed Better Business Bureau (BBB) ratings (where applicable) and checked to make sure none of these brands have U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) warning letters.
Best way to get Viagra online
- What’s offered: Brand-name and generic versions of Viagra. There’s also other ED treatments and medications for premature ejaculation.
- Price: $425 for five 50-mg Viagra pills or $24 for six 40-mg sildenafil pills. There’s also a $5 medical fee tacked onto the first purchase.
- Dosages: 25, 50, and 100 mg
- Pros: The service is convenient, private, and quick. The subscription model means you don’t have to actively think about ordering your next prescription.
- Cons: Online visits might not be as comprehensive as in-person ones, and, unlike your regular doctor, online physicians don’t have your complete medical history unless you tell them.
To get started with Hims, you’ll first fill out info online. A licensed healthcare professional will review your information and get back to you to complete the free consultation.
During the consultation, they’ll assess your symptoms and medical history. They may also ask follow-up questions via the secure online message portal. If they determine ED medication is right for you, they’ll provide a prescription plan. Getting a prescription typically takes about 24 hours.
This is the most expensive option on our list, because Hims sells both Viagra and sildenafil in packs of five or six. However, the cost per dose is similar to the other services we featured: $70 for Viagra and $4 for sildenafil.
Customers give the company mixed reviews. Negative reviewers complain about shipping and billing issues, but they rarely complain about the medications.
Best way to get Viagra and other ED treatments online
- What’s offered: Generic and brand name Viagra, as well as other ED medications.
- Price: Sildenafil starts at $2 per dose, and Viagra starts at $70 per dose
- Dosages: 25, 50, and 100 mg for Viagra and 20, 40, 60, 80, and 100 mg for sildenafil
- Pros: No in-person appointment is required. There’s also a convenient monthly subscription service.
- Cons: The service isn’t available in all states. It might not be worth it if you have good insurance.
To use Roman, you need to have been seen by a physician within the last 3 years. You’ll fill out an initial questionnaire that a licensed doctor or nurse practitioner will review, usually in 24 hours.
After this, you have the choice of chatting with a physician on the phone, via video chat, or through a messaging system. Each visit costs $15, not including any prescriptions.
Shipping is discreet and quick. Customers seem mostly happy with the service. However, some complain about unauthorized renewal charges and slow shipping.
On the BBB website, Roman has an A+ rating, and the company has responded to each complaint in detail.
Best way to get chewable sildenafil pills
- What’s offered: The service only has chewable sildenafil tablets.
- Price: $20 per month for six 30 mg tablets
- Dosages: 30 or 45 mg
- Pros: This one of the few chewable options out there for people who find it difficult to swallow pills. It also involves a convenient subscription service.
- Cons: Brand name Viagra isn’t available. Also, although the active ingredients are FDA-approved, the chewable tablets aren’t.
An online consultation with Bluechew is free. First, you’ll fill out a medical profile, which a Bluechew affiliate professional will review.
If they determine ED medication is a fit, they’ll write you a prescription. Your state may require you to video chat with a healthcare professional before you can get a prescription.
Bluechew partners with pharmacies, so you can pick up your prescription locally if you choose. The company also offers shipping options, including overnight shipping.
There aren’t too many reviews for Bluechew on third-party sites. The reviews that exist are mixed, with some people saying they love the product and others complaining that it doesn’t work.
Best way to get affordable sildenafil pills
- What’s offered: There’s generic sildenafil, as well as a range of other services.
- Price: $2 per 20 mg pill
- Dosage: 20 mg
- Pros: The service is easy-to-use, and it’s affordable.
- Cons: There’s no insurance coverage. Lemonaid isn’t available in every state.
To get a sildenafil prescription through Lemonaid, you need to complete an online appointment with one of the service’s doctors or nurse practitioners. If you’re given a prescription, the company will send it to a partner pharmacy, that will then deliver it to you for free.
Although their mail-order pharmacy doesn’t take insurance, you can take your prescription to your pharmacy and avoid up-front costs if you have insurance.
The majority of reviewers are happy with Lemonaid’s telehealth services, describing it as fast and affordable. However, some people complain about long wait times and customer service issues.
Best alternative to Viagra
- What’s offered: This is a wearable ED device.
- Price: $138 for a single pack or $238 for a 2-pack every 4 months
- Pros: There’s no need to worry about drug interactions or side effects. The device is designed to enhance your partner’s pleasure, and it’s easy to remove.
- Cons: Not everyone is comfortable wearing this kind of device.
This alternative to ED medication is an FDA-registered Class 2 device. It provides compression around the penis to help maintain blood flow, making it possible to retain an erection. It does this without constricting the urethra or arteries.
Unlike a cock ring, the Eddie is easy to remove, thanks to its adjustable band design.
Shipping is free, and, if it doesn’t work for you, you can return the device or get it resized for free.
The device has mixed reviews online. The most common complaint is that it’s tough to get the sizing right. The company has responded to most of the complaints.
Take Viagra as directed. While there are various dosages available, it’s important not to take more than directed.
While Viagra is considered safe to use, some people may experience side effects, such as:
- stomach troubles
- stuffed or runny nose
- back and muscle pain
Serious side effects that require emergency attention include:
- chest pain
- trouble breathing
- vision changes
Additionally, some medications can interact negatively with Viagra. Examples include:
- blood pressure medications
Always tell your doctor about the medications and supplements you’re taking. Some drug interactions cause severe or fatal side effects.
How long does it take for Viagra to start working?
It depends on the person, but it usually takes around 30 minutes.
How long do the effects of Viagra last?
This depends on the dose. Most of the time, the effects should last around 4 to 5 hours.
Anything longer than that requires an emergency room visit. This is important, so a health professional can check for heart or blood pressure issues.
What’s the difference between Viagra and sildenafil?
There’s no difference except the fancy branding. They’re chemically identical.
What are some alternatives to Viagra?
Other ED medications include:
According to the NIDDK, non-prescription alternatives to Viagra include lifestyle changes, like:
Viagra might be able to help you with ED. If you’re interested in trying Viagra for your ED symptoms, you should talk with a doctor first.
You’ll need a prescription, and, thanks to emerging telehealth services, it’s now possible to get one without stepping inside a doctor’s office. Just be sure to give them a complete medical history.
If you’re experiencing other symptoms in addition to ED, you’re probably better off seeing your doctor or a specialist, like a urologist, in person. They can assess your symptoms and determine if an underlying condition is causing the ED.
Steph Coelho is a freelance writer with chronic migraine who has a particular interest in health and wellness. When she’s not click-clacking away on her keyboard, she’s probably nose-deep in a good book.